Re: PROSKUNEW

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan.robie@sagus.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 14:18:24 EDT

At 12:57 PM 6/8/99 EDT, AgapeLove9@aol.com wrote:
>Since Mitchell Gray asked the question about "obeisance" and Heb 1:6, I
found
>a specific article on the subject and am posting it for consideration.

[!!! SNIP !!!]

>If one prefers the rendering "worship," such worship is
>relative, for Jesus told Satan: "It is Jehovah your God you must worship
>[form of proskyneo], and it is to him alone you must render sacred
>service."-Matthew 4:8-10.

I must say, I find several aspects of the article rather strange, but one
of the stranger aspects was the above quote, which renders the following
Greek:

KURION TON QEON SOU PROSKUNHSEIS KAI AUTWi MONWi LATREUSEIS.

How did KURIOS turn into "Jehovah"? I found that rather CURIOUS. Wherever
this article came from, the author of the article seems to feel that
translations should be free to change the word "Lord" to "Jehovah", which
makes me wonder about the other guidelines this article offers for
translators!

> Though Psalm 97:7, which speaks about worshiping God, was applied to
Christ
>at Hebrews 1:6, Paul had shown in context that the resurrected Jesus is "the
>reflection of [God's] glory and the exact representation of his very being."
>(Hebrews 1:1-3) So any "worship" the angels give God's Son is relative and
is
>directed through him to Jehovah.

Very strange indeed. The author of this article would say that:

1. KAI PROSKUNHSATWSAN AUTWi PANTES AGGELOI QEOU in Hebrews 1:6 is a
quotation of Psalms 97:7 LXX: PROSKUNHSATE AUTWi PANTES hOI ANGELOI AUTOU.
So far so good, that's quite likely.

2. In Psalms 97:7, the verb PROSKUNHSATE should be translated worship, and
understood as worshipping God.

3. When the same verse is quoted and applied to Jesus, the same verb should
be translated differently.

The justification given for this is a theological argument, not an analysis
of the meaning of this verb in the context of the passage being translated
- unless we exclude the possibility that Jesus would be worshipped by the
angels a priori, this verse seems to talk about precisely this kind of
worship.

Jonathan