Re: Walking on the sea in Matt 14:25,26

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 16:15:59 EDT

> Matt 14:25: ... HLQEN PROS AUTOUS PERIPATWN EPI *THN QALASSAN*
> THN QALASSAN Aleph B P W Delta Theta 084 01016 fam1 fam13 700 1241] THS
> QALASSHS C D L Maj
>
> Matt 14:26: ... IDONTES AUTON EPI *THS QALASSHS* PERIPATOUNTA
> THS QALASSHS Aleph B C D fam1 33. 892. 1010. 1241] THN QALASSAN L W 0106
> Maj
>
> I am puzzled by the use of the accusative THN QALASSAN in Matt 14:25 and of
> the genitive THS QALASSHS in Matt 14:26. It seems to me that both verses
> describes Jesus' walking (movement). Is there any syntactical explanation.
>
> I am even more puzzled by the variant readings. If you notice several
> manuscripts that have the accusative in Matt 14:25 have the genitive in
> 14:26 and and vice versa. One would expect an harmonization of the two
> mentions of Jesus' walking on the sea, i.e., two accusatives or two genitive.
>
> Can someone throw any light on this matter?
>
> Jean-Francois Racine

Jean-Francois,

The mega greeks seem to be off line at the moment.

EPI can be used with all the oblique cases. The semantic range of EPI
with the genitive overlaps substantially that of EPI with the
accusative. For this reason the genitive and accusative in this context
can be rendered in an identical manner which is what most of the English
translations do. However there is a possible distinction here:

EPI THS QALASSHS PERIPATOUNTA

Walking on the sea

PERIPATWN EPI THN QALASSAN

Walking over the sea

The textual evidence shows D putting them both in the genitive which is
easy to account for on the desire to tidy up the text. However the
Majority Text inverts the sequence of the cases which cannot be
accounted for on the basis of smoothing up or harmonizing. Note that the
parallels in Mark and John have the genitive case in all the
manuscripts (those cited by Reuben Swanson).

Since the sense of this passage is not materially altered by the change
in case I would class this issue among the curious minutia of the GNT.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point