Re: Kurios & kuria

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 19 1999 - 17:38:29 EDT

At 1:07 PM -0600 6/19/99, Lawrence May wrote:
>This may be out of line, but I am wondering since kurios is translated
>"Lord", shouldn't
>we expect kuria tranlated "lady" be considered to be a lord's wife?

No; the relationship between KURIOS and KURIA in Greek is exactly the same
as that between DOMINUS and DOMINA in Latin: they mean, respectively, Lord
of the household and Lady of the household: the person in authority; in
fact, KURIOS,-A,-UM is actually an adjective here used as a substantive.

>Also could not
>this also be John's way of identifying the last missionary and faithful
>church to be
>in Korea. (similar sound). Could it mean that we should expect Korea to
>be reunited
>and Christian before the Lord's return?

I suspect that even the Lord is kurious about that one! ;-)

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu