Kurios and Kuria

From: Steven Cox (scox@Mail.Sparkice.COM.CN)
Date: Sun Jun 20 1999 - 15:10:02 EDT

Having lived in both Koreas I've heard the KURIA one before (in the South)
and also similar local NT identifications in some other Asian countries :
Philippines China and Japan have all been "found" in the Bible (no I'm not
sniggering - many British used to believe they were mentioned too in the
days of Empire, pace Bochart - and in Asia it's an understandable reaction
to Christianity's Anglo-Saxon garb)

However, apart from the vagaries of Greek pronunciation noted, the name
Korea (French Coree following Chinese Gaoli) was first publicised in Europe
by dutch castaway Hendrik Hamel in the 17th Century and even this name
really only describes Korea post the Koryo era 918-1392 AD. This effectively
means that the name didn't exist when John wrote.
Cheers
Steven

PS: Regarding "causing offence" - we apologise to each other too much -
scripturally 1Co13:5 might imply that we shouldn't get offended in the first
place : hH AGAPH OU PAROXUNETAI (caritas non irritatur)