GNT words for soul and spirit

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 07:13:49 EDT

Wayne Shelton <AShe298795@aol.com> has asked me to put to the list the
following question:

>> I have a couple of questions. There are
>> two primary words used in the greek new testament for soul and spirit.
>Also,
>> there are renditions of these. What was the understanding of that era of
>the
>> soul and spirit and what is the literal definitions for these words.
>> 5590 psuche (psoo-khay');, 4151 pneuma (pnyoo'-mah);
>
>> Thank you,
>> Wayne Shelton

Without suggesting that there's any impediment to renewed discussion of
this matter, I would call attention to earlier list discussions focused
rather sharply upon this precise topic:

Mike MacKinnon 4/30/97 SWMA, SARX, YUCH (psuche), PNEUMA
Glenn L. Weaver 4/30/97 Re: SWMA, SARX, YUCH (psuche), PNEUMA
Carl W. Conrad 5/1/97 Re: SWMA, SARX, YUCH (psuche), PNEUMA
Carlton Winbery 5/1/97 Re: SWMA, SARX, YUCH (psuche), PNEUMA
Carlton Winbery 5/1/97 Re: SWMA, SARX, YUCH (psuche), PNEUMA
Carl W. Conrad 10/15/97 Re: Heb 4:12 and soul/spirit
Eric Weiss 5/7/98 Spirit, Soul, Body
Carl W. Conrad 5/7/98 Re: Spirit, Soul, Body

And furthermore, I would repeat what I've said myself in a couple of the
above messages in the archives, one ought to be careful about assuming that
these words have exactly the same meaning in each GNT document and/or
writer.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu