Re: Phillipians

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 20:19:32 EDT

At 07:01 PM 6/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>In my reading of an interlinear version of the "new testament", I was
>reading Phillipians and I came upon a stumbling block that I have yet to
>remove. I am sure that it has been discused before, but I wish to ask this
>one question.

May I recommend that ya ditch the interlinear? It really is more of a
hindrance than a help in the long run. If you are learning, or have learned
Greek it is going to do you a disservice; but if ya haven't learned Greek
theres no need for an interlinear because ya can't read the Greek lines
anyway! :-)

>Can Phillipians 2:6 be read as: "who, existing in the form of God, he did
>not consider fighting to be equal to God."

No- "fighting" is inadequate here. The word harpagmon means "to clutch to,
to cling to", thus the verse should read something like "who, though
existing in the form of God, he did not consider clinging to equality with
God something to be desired"

>Or maybe: who, existing in the form of God, he did not consider grasping
>to be equal to God."

This is better than the first one.... but grasping must be fleshed out a
bit, as above.

>Your help would be welcomed, since I really don't want to move on until I
>get this verse resolved.

okie dokie. Hope this helps.

Best,

Jim