Re: Incidence of article with NT names

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan.robie@sagus.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 13:05:58 EDT

At 08:38 AM 6/17/99 +0800, Steven Cox wrote:

>Q1. Over this number of samples is there any statistical significance in
>Petros and Satanas?
>(Bearing in mind that Peter often heads the lists of the 12 disciples and
>his name occurs more often on its own in prominence?)

Statistical significance is a concept from sampling statistics. If it is
statistically significant, that means that there really does seem to be a
pattern that goes beyond random noise. In this case, I think it could be
argued that your sample is the same as the universe being explored, so
statistical significance isn't really the relevant question. There *does*
seem to be a pattern here.

What does the pattern mean? Well, I suspect this is the use of the article
to indicate well-known individuals, but I would have to look at each
instance carefully to see if that's true...

Jonathan