Incidence of article with NT names

From: KAREN PITTS (kpitts@sarnoff.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 22:52:24 EDT

<x-rich>The correct statistical test is a Chi-Squared test of independence,
which basically tests whether the proprotions are all the same for the
two columns. I did the test for the entire table, which is highly
statistically significant (error << e-27), the table without SATANAS,
which is highly statistically significant (error << e-15), and for the
table without SATANAS and PETROS, which is not statistically
significant (error = .12).

I used the frequencies, which I've pasted below. The proportions are
from Steven Cox's original request.

Now, whether the statistical significance has any meaning is a question
I can't answer.

Karen

totals

Abraham 12 60 72

Moses 13 66 79

David 5 53 58

Elijah 0 29 29

John 4 30 34

Petros 52 40 92

Satanas 33 4 37

totals 119 282 401

</bigger></fontfamily>Word total %w.art. %w/o art.

Abraham 72 16.4 83.6

Moses 79 16.46 83.54

David 58 8.6 91.40

Elijah 29 0 100

John 34 11.8 88.2

Petros 92 56.5 43.5

Satanas 37 86.49 13.51

Karen Pitts

kpitts@sarnoff.com

statistician at Sarnoff Corporation, Princeton NJ

teacher of NT Greek, Hopewell Pres. Church, Hopewell, NJ

</x-rich>