Re: Why an instantaneous imperfect in Mark 8:24?

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Jun 26 1999 - 22:47:33 EDT

Daniel wrote about the following verse:

> > KAI ANABLEYAS ELEGEN: BLEPW TOUS ANQROPOUS hOTI hWS DENDRA hORW
> > PERIPATOUNTAS.

[Daniel]

> > BTW, the hOTI seems to me not to be the causal particle, here, but the relative
> pronoun "which."
... The causal idea
> does not seem to offer any explanation for the first verbal clause: "I see men,
> because I perceive them like walking trees" doesn't appear to make sense. However,
> "I see men, which I perceive like walking trees" is certainly intelligible.

[Moon]
Are there other instances where hOTI is used as the relative pronoun "that
(which)"? I would take the hOTI clause as a sort of noun clause, which
defines what the person is seeing. So I would have:

I see men that I perceive [them] walking like trees.

Here I take the particiciple as predicative not as attributive, following
Carl's well argued thesis.

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Soongsil University