Re: [Fwd: Tense of TETAGMENOI in Acts 13:48]

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 11:16:27 EDT

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 8:39:35 "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
writes:

>It seems that hOSOI HSAN TETAGMENOI EIS ZWHAN AIWNION is
>the explicitly mentioned subject of EPISTEUSAN. Is there any
>grammatical grounds for taking it otherwise?

I agree. Even if one were to view the perfect TETAGMENOI
as intensive, does this make any sense? We would then have,
as many as are appointed to eternal life believed. Could this
possibly mean they are appointed to eternal life because they
believed, or when they believed? What would be the subsequent
meaning in the context?

I, too, would like to see some precedence for taking such a
perfected subject clause with an aorist indicative any other
way than as denoting the prior action of the perfect.

Paul Dixon