Re: [Fwd: Tense of TETAGMENOI in Acts 13:48]

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 18:36:30 EDT

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 09:14:59 -0700 "clayton stirling bartholomew"
<c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Daniel, Paul, Moon-Ryul,
>
>Yes, I can see this as one way to read this text. However , I see
>another way of reading it. If we take TA EQNH as the subject of all
>three finite verbs then we can take hOSOI HSAN TETAGMENOI EIS ZWHN
>AIWNION as limiting the scope of TA EQNH. If you read the text in this
>manner it is this limited set of TA EQNH that is performing the action
>in all three finite verbs. Doubtless someone will say hOSOI should be a
>neuter plural if it is to be used like this but I don't see that as a
>big hurdle to get over since the subject under discussion is the men who
>believed who were, oh by the way, Gentiles.
>
>OK, so this is a little far fetched. Your reading is probably correct.

Hi Clayton,

To be sure, hOSOI HSAN TETAGMENOI EIS ZWHN AIWNION,
in this context is limited by TA EQNH, so that as many of these
particular Gentiles who had been appointed unto eternal life
believed.

I'm not sure what your point is, unless you are suggesting that
a different state of affairs might exist for other Gentiles, or for the
Jews.

Incidentally, wouldn't it be better to take the two imperfects with
TA EQNH, then take the aorist EPISTEUSAN with hOSOI? It
may be saying that when the Gentiles heard, they were rejoicing
and glorifying the word of the Lord and that as many (no more,
no less) of these as had been appointed unto eternal life believed.

Paul Dixon