Perfects in LXX and GNT (was Re: Hair-splitting)

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 00:32:18 EDT

    Paul Dixon addressed the following to Carl, but I could not resist.
I don't for
a moment think I am taking Carl's place: it just piqued my curiosity,
and Carl
(along with anyone else) can add interpretations to the data below.

dixonps@juno.com wrote: [snipped]

> ...you might want to use Accordance to compare the number
> of perfects in Genesis and Exodus of the LXX with an equal number of
> pages
> in the GNT, say Matthew, Mark and Luke (76 and 75, respectively).
>
> It would be interesting to see if there is a significant difference
> there.

     Matthew has 113 perfects and 8 pluperfects, respectively 5.32 and
0.38 hits per
1,000 words. (21 of the pfs and 3 of the plpf are )OIDA.)

     Mark has 93 perfects and 8 pluperfects, respectively 7.11 and 0.61
hits per
1,000 words. (18 of the pfs and 3 of the plpf are )OIDA.)

     Luke has 171 perfects and 8 pluperfects, respectively 7.62 and 0.71
hits per
1,000 words. (20 of the pfs and 5 of the plpf are )OIDA.)

    In the GNT as a whole, there are 1573 perfects and 86 pluperfects,
with only 3
pluperfects occurring outside the Gospels and Acts. The perfects are
fairly even in
distribution, with the exception of 1John, which has almost 30 hits per thousand
words. (284 of the pfs and 33 of the plpf in the GNT are )OIDA.)

     Genesis has 129 perfects and 16 pluperfects, respectively 3.96 and
0.49 hits
per 1,000 words. (7 of the pfs and 10 of the plpf are )OIDA.)

     Exodus has 222 perfects and 7 pluperfects, respectively 8.95 and
0.28 hits per
1,000 words. (15 of the pfs and 3 of the plpf are )OIDA.)
Interestingly, 29 of
these perfects are forms of KLWQW (to spin). This word only occurs five additional
times in the LXX (all in Lev) and all 34 times in the LXX, it is in the perfect.
This verb does not occur in the GNT.

    In the LXX as a whole, there are 4004 perfects and 179 pluperfects. The
perfects are distributed in a fairly even pattern; however, the
pluperfect is almost
entirely absent from the text of the Minor Prophets. (197 of the pfs
and 33 of the
plpf in the LXX are )OIDA. This verb is followed in frequency of use by PEIQW,
GRAFW, DIDWMI, GINOMAI, and (ORAW, each with over 100 appearances.)

    All in all, it looks as though there is no significant statistical
difference in
the way the Perfect and Pluperfect appear in LXX and GNT. Though I must
say that
the KLWQW is rather interesting. Of course, it remains to be seen how
this all
compares with the use of the perfect and pluperfect in Classical Greek literature.

Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible
Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street
Portland, OR 97220
(Also Portland Bible College, Prof of Biblical Languages)
e-mail: dlc@multnomah.edu