Re: Research Ideas

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 14:12:22 EDT

Carl wrote:

> Sounds a bit, Clay, like you've drawn the conclusion before doing the
> research: "set out to demonstrate that ...; show that ..." I'd prefer to
> say, "test the hypothesis that ..."

Carl is correct here. What I am proposing is not an exercise in
positivism. I am suggesting that Brian set out with the purpose of
undermining the notion that a CASE has a central or core meaning. The
intent of this would not be at all "neutral" or "scientific." I have
been dabbling in Derrida and the idea of "decentring" is what I am
driving at here. This is not intended to be positivism. It is an attack
on the idea that a CASE has a stable core of meaning using "what ever
means necessary" (Malcolm X).

BTW, dabbling in Derrida does not mean I am buying into Derrida.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point