Re: I John 2:2 - hHMETERWN DE MONON

From: Jean-Francois Racine (Jean-Francois_Racine@uqac.uquebec.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 11:18:24 EDT

At 09:56 AM 7/16/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>This is probably a Greek 101 question, so forgive me for its
>simplicity. (I hope this hasn't been asked a hundred times!)
>
>In I John 2:2 we have
>
> KAI AUTOS hILASMOS ESTIN PERI TWN hAMARTIWN hHMWN, OU PERI TWN
>hHMETERWN DE MONON ALLA KAI...
>
>MONON, being an accusative, surprised me. I would have thought it
>should agree with hHMETERWN. Does MONON modify the whole
>prepositional phrase (PERI TWN hHMETERWN)?
>
>Also, and I suspect this is related to the first question, what
>function is DE performing?
>
>Could MONON be adverbial, thus giving: "He is the expiation, the
>only one existing..."?
>
>Thanks for any help as PARAKOLOUQEW FRONOUNTA EN TNi hELLHNIKHi.
>
>--
>Mike Sangrey
>mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us

Mike,

In my opinion, it is indeed adverbial and the phrase OU (PERI TWN
hHMETERWN) DE MONON ALLA KAI... corresponds to the English "not only ...
but also".

Jean-Francois Racine
Departement de sciences religieuses et ethique
Universite du Quebec a Chicoutimi
555, boul. de l'Universite
Chicoutimi, QC
G7H 2B1 CANADA