[Fwd: Re: James 4:5]

From: Jonathan Ryder (jpr1001@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 07:09:06 EDT

Steven Cox wrote:

> Where is James quoting from?
> PROS FQONON EPIPOQEI TO PNEUMA hO KATWiKISEN EN hUMIN
>
> Steven
>
> ---

To add to comments already received.

Off the top of my head, I think you'll find that some commentators argue that
James isn't quoting here at all, but the sentence can be construed quite
differently. They argue, variously, that H DOKEITE hOTI KENWS hH GRAFH LEGEI is
standalone 'Or do you suppose that (the) scripture 'speaks' in vain?', or that
James has in mind the subsequent scripture in v6, or some other scripture by way
of allusion.

Also, as no doubt you're aware, commentators have various different ways of
construing the actual phrase in question: PROS FQONON EPIPOQEI TO PNEUMA hO
KATWiKISEN EN hUMIN. The basic questions are 'is TO PNEUMA ...' subject or
object of EPIPOQEI?', and 'whose spirit - God's (Holy) Spirit or man's spirit?'

See, amongst others, Luke Johnson's recent contribution to the Anchor Bible
series for most of the above.

Jonathan Ryder