Re: ZEWN TWi PNEUMATI Acts 18:25

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 16:59:02 EDT

> I did a quick search through Luke and Acts; Luke uses PNUEMA in various
> forms without the article a large number of times for the Holy Spirit. He
> occasionally uses the article with the Holy Spirit (but almost always with
> hAGION), but references to a human spirit almost always include the article
> to distinguish it as a particular spirit. I would say the evidence leans
> toward Apollos' spirit, especially since ZEWN is his personal
> characteristic and it is modified by TWi PNEUMATI. Besides, from the
> context he hasn't received the baptism of the Holy Spirit yet. I don't see
> how he could be fervent in something he didn't have yet.
>
> Steve

Steve and Carl,

Steve's comment:

>Besides, from the
> context he hasn't received the baptism of the Holy Spirit yet.

raises the question of Luke's silence on this issue. In Acts 19:1-7 we
have an account which is connected by a similar theme where some
disciples of John are found to be deficient in several aspects and Luke
tells us how this situation is resolved. With Apollos we are not told
about any deficiency except the one about who's baptism he was
proclaiming. Barrett (Acts: ICC) finds this a reason to draw a
distinction between Apollos and the disciples in 19:1-7. Barrett
implies that Apollos had already received the Holy Spirit and was only
mixed up on the difference between John's baptism and Jesus' baptism.
This is substantially an argument from silence which is tenuous at best.

However, the linguistic information that you have provided is directly
relevant to my question and I thank you for it.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point