Re: Para-what?

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 06:28:20 EDT

At 09:43 PM 7/22/99 +1200, N & RJ Hanscamp wrote:
> Can someone explain to me what paratactic (parataxis?) is.
>Moulton/Turner Syntax (vol 3) uses the word but does not explain it, and
>BDF ain't much more help.

The actual usage of this term in NT scholarship differs from its
definition in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary. In Webster's,
parataxis is "the placing of clauses or phrases one after another
without coordinating or subordinating connectives." In common
usage, however, parataxis is often used to refer to joining clauses
with a simple KAI or waw coordinating connective, reserving the
term "asyndeton" for what Webster defined.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/