Re: AKOH PISTEWS

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 00:17:29 EDT

> Dear friends,
>
> Probably you could help me to understand an expression, used in Gal.3:3:
> EC ERGWN NOMOU TO PNEUMA ELABETE H EC AKOH PISTEWS, ("Received ye the
> Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"), and also in
> Gal.3:5.
> What can AKOH PISTEWS mean: hearing with faith, or preaching about faith,
> or anything else?
>
> Dmitriy Reznik

Dmitriy,

First we should note that the genitive case (PISTWS) is the most
flexible of the NT Greek cases. AKOH PISTEWS is probably intended to be
both parallel and contrasted to ERGWN NOMOU. My best guess on AKOH
PISTEWS would be that PISTEWS defines a quality of the action. So with
ERGWN we ask, what kind of works? Works of the law. With AKOH we ask
what kind of hearing? The faith kind of hearing.

How one might translate it into English is a different question. Some
one else can answer that question.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point