etymology

From: George Goolde (goolde@mtnempire.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 06:12:55 EDT

Eric,

I think you are correct. There seems to be an emphasis on "one body" in
the epistles. The context seems to dictate that it refer to the church
which is His body, rather than to local assemblies of believers.

In general, we have done quite a bit of etymology bashing - well deserved,
perhaps - but it might be appropriate and edifying to state the positive:
words always get their meaning from context!

George

George A. Goolde
Professor, Bible & Theology
Southern California Bible College & Seminary