Re: ekklesia

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 13:56:18 EDT

>My problem with this is that, while I agree that Paul surely is inclusive
>in his conception of believers incorporate EN CRISTWi as all belonging to
>the SWMA CRISTOU, I have my doubts whether it is ever safe to say that
>EKKLHSIA in an authentic letter of Paul (personally I'd exclude 2 Thess,
>Eph, Col and the pastorals) refers to more than a local house-church type
>of congregation. Certainly Paul does not use SUNAGWGH, and in fact, I think
>that word is used exclusively of the Jewish local prayer and study meeting.
>In fact, I'm inclined to think that the usage of EKKLHSIA for the entire
>body of Christ is restricted to later-composed NT texts, but that's not an
>item for discussion in this forum. I doubt we can find a clear instance in
>an authentic Pauline letter of EKKLHSIA in the sense of the universal body.

How about 1 Corinthians 10:32: APROSKOPOI KAI IOUDAIOUIS GINESQE KAI
ELLHSIN KAI TH EKKLHSIA TOU QEOU?

I guess its possible he's referring to a local body but the inclusive
nature of Jews and Greeks make me think he's referring to the universal
church. In 11:16 he refers to local bodies in the plural, so I would take
10:32 as an inclusive singular.

Steve

--Christian is a noun that doesn't need an adjective.--
| Allegro Graphics, Inc. -- Allegro Digital Media, Inc. |
| 4132 Industrial Drive

| Saint Peters, Missouri 63376 |