EIMI -- copulative or stative

From: shawn (dahunter@ns1.inland.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 17:43:05 EDT

Hi,

I'm new to all this so bear with me if this question is too easy.
However, this is my first posting to b-greek so I'm fairly excited!
First of all it isn't hindering my translation skills but I'm curious
because I was reading in some sources about the verb EIMI (D.A. Black's,
Learn to read New Testament Greek pp.20, and Parsons Greek Tutor).

First Parsons' referred to it as a stative verb, which www.m-w.com defines
as "expressing a state, condition, or relation".

Black's text referred to it as a copulative verb, which he further defines
as "...(from Lat. copulo, `I link together') because it links subject and
predicate..."

So which is more accurate? Are they basically saying the same thing or is
there a slight difference between how they look at the verb?

        -Shawn O'Connor