Re: ekklesia/Kalvesmaki, Sangrey

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 08:56:03 EDT

I agree that etymology is useful in casting the parameters of a word's meaning. Even
with changes in meaning over time, something of the origin idea usually remains, and
can be beneficial in understanding the bedrock of definition. I had recently to
discourse on DIAKONOS as it applied to Phoebe in Romans 16:1. In the context of
Paul's time, was she a "servant," "minister," "helper," or "deaconess?" It was an
interesting discussion.