Re: Advanced Trichotomy (was: Re: John 3:2)

From: Scott Sherwood (scottsherwoodjobsearch@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 10:13:39 EDT

I've seen ( in Loeb library text )ancient Greek and Latin terms for
what we call verbs, adverbs, nouns, and adjectives; and I've seen terms
here that I'd never seen before like apodosis and paratactic.

It seems there was a fully developed ancient Greek grammatical argot.
As a relative newcomer to Greek, wouldn't I be better off trying to use
those terms/definitions for analysis than the modern American grammar
terms I learned in school?

Would B-Greek as a whole be better off if we could all use those terms?

Is there a good/best source, modern or ancient, that sets out and
explains those ancient terms and concepts?

Are the ancient terms in any way wrong? Do they incorrectly describe
ancient Greek grammar? Was it not a workable system for the ancients?

I've read some old English books (1500's AD) on parsing Greek. Is
there some more modern source that could (mostly in English) explain
the ancient parsing technique using the ancient terms? As I said, I
think I've seen ancient Latin authorities on Greek grammar, so I think
the information is out there somewhere; I think I'd have an easier time
understanding the system if I could escape the modern grammatical
mindset for a time.

Thanks,

Scott Sherwood
Massachusetts