Re: tax gatherers of today beware

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 17:13:20 EDT

Edgar Foster wrote:

> Dear B-Greekers,
>
> I'm presently trying to work out some of the implications of the Greek
> definite article. In this connection I was wondering, how would you
> translate TWi hAMARTWLWi in Luke 18:13 and why would you translate it
> in this way or that?

If I may expand this question, what about some discussion of the
relationships between some of the other articles in this discourse
as well as the pronouns. I hope this might help Edgar with his
question as well as myself and those who lurk here?

  1. How does MOI affect the use of the article in vs 13?
  2. Is there parallelism in the articles between TWi hMARTWLWi in
        vs 13 and hOI LOIPOI TWN ANQRWPWN in vs 11? Does that
        influence the article? What I'm after here is this: Did Luke
        or Jesus use the article in order to maintain balance between
        these two sets of people, the Tax Collector and the rest of men?
  3. Do the articles used in vs 10, hO hEIS FARISAIOS and hO hETEROS
        TELWNHS, influence the use of the article in vs 13?
  4. Does the article and demonstrative pronoun used in vs 11, hOUTOS
        hO TELWNHS, influence the use of the article in vs 13?
  5. What other ways could the Tax Collector have worded the reference
        to himself and how are they different than what he actually said?
        Obviously, if he said, hLASQHTI TOUTWi TWi hAMARTWLWi, it
        would have been emphatic? Is TWi hAMARTWLWi halfway between
        TOUTWi... and just plain hAMARTWLWi; in emphasis, that is?

Perhaps someone knows a pointer to a good discussion about the articles
in this very text.

Thanks.

--
Mike Sangrey