R: Grammar in 2 Thessalonians 1

From: Paolo Villa (pavilla@tiscalinet.it)
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 17:31:06 EDT

Dear Sirs,
it's a little opinion but I think about the third question that
DIDONTOS is in genitive because its agreement not directly with KURIOU
IESOUS but with FLOGOS:
(this) "FLOX who gives EKDIDOSIN KTL..."
then , probably , this flame is a metaphor for Jesus, or God justice...
the expression " EN PURI FLOGOS " occurs 3 times in LXX:
Sir 8, 10
Sir 45, 19
Pss 12, 4
you can translate it simply with "with flame of fire" or "with flaming
fire" (NRS)
so Vulgata: " in flamma ignis dantis..."
in Italian:
"nel fuoco ardente che farˆ vendetta"(IEP) = who will give revenge"
"nel fuoco ardente a fare vendetta" (CEI) = "to give revenge"

Thank you and sorry for eventual errors

Paolo Villa
pavilla@tiscalinet.it
Student at