Re: Rom. 12:15 infinitives

From: Christopher Hutson (crhutson@salisbury.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 14:57:17 EDT

Jim,

I withdraw my suggestion that you were being evasive. You're right that you
are never evasive. I found your answer obscure but I should not have
projected a motive onto you.

>Now you are confusing me. Are you suggesting that Paul is sending the
>letter to rome and corinth at the same time? what other christian
community
>would he be addressing if not the one(s) in rome?

Not at all. I was merely suggesting that the grammatical subject of the
infinitives is not identical with the subjects of the participles. I still
don't see that would be grammatically sound. But no need to belabor it.

>> In 12:14, "bless those who
>>persecute you" seems to exhort Christian readers in their response to
>>non-Christian persecutors.
>
>What leads you to believe that they are not Christians?

I grant the possibility that they could have been Christians. But that is a
larger interpretational question that grammar will not settle. My comments
were really intended to focus on the grammar of 12:15.

But I think we have stated our understandings, and apparently neither of us
was addressing the main point of Mike's question anyway, since he has now
clarified what he was getting at.

Anyway, even though I still don't understand your analysis of the grammar,
thanks for the discussion. And thanks for your readiness to entertain so
many questions. I appreciate reading your posts on the list.

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson
          Hood Theological Seminary
          Salisbury, NC 28144