RE: prepositions

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@alumni.utexas.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 15:19:59 EDT

My point exactly.

> or associations to the
> historical development.

The point of making the historical associations is to obviate the need for
rote memory and application of a derived statistical observation. As I
stated previously, "the phenomena noted by Wallace [is] simply...a residual
from an historical process." And if the stats are an underwhelming
majority, they are of no utility whatsoever since they would not
significantly reduce any ambiguity associated with the relation of the PP.
Of course it is the context that determines actual relation of the PP in any
given instance.

It was Wallace who stated the rule, and apparently found it useful. I'm
still curious as to the actual statistical validity of the descriptive rule.
Any input here, anyone?

I appreciate the refs. I have received regarding the historical development
of PPs!

Joe Friberg
Arlington, TX