RE: Task of Translation (was Wallace: Beyond the Basics)

From: Jefferson, Robert C. (X2JEFFER@southernco.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 10:57:31 EDT

Carl's comment did spark my question.
That like most of his article was beneficial for us little greeks.
Along with others who say that Greek for them is not an end in itself to
them but rather a means to an end.
The end being usually defined as NT exegesis.
As for the "mind of God" I would never presume such a thing.
I too see the struggle that you say you deal with and my question is
therefore valid.
There is great variety in the current grammars on the market.
What should a little greek do? Buy Kittle? Robertson? Who?
I know nothing of Wallace's book except what is said here
In other words it is a valid question seeking a valid response.
You know should grammar:
Get into the head of the author (only) or
Help the modern exegetical method.
Another is how to balance these two.

I can conceive of a grammar based on what the ancients thought they were
doing.
I can also image a grammar based on 20th century catagories.

Something in the summer to chew on,

         <<RCJefferson.vcf>>