Translating Mark 9:35

From: Dale & Emma Hamilton (hammies@smart.net.au)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 03:17:09 EDT

Bible Translation - http://BibleTranslation.listbot.com/

In translating Mark 9:35 I have noticed that it is usual in English
translations to translate the apodosis as hortatory ie. "...let him be first
of all and servant of all". Would it be better to translate this as a
"condition-CONSEQUENCE" clause? ie. With the apodosis being the consequence
of the action of desiring to be great - "If someone wishes to be great he
will be last of all and servant of all." Have I missed something here? I
can't seem to find anything in my Greek grammars that reject either
translation.

Thanks, Dale Hamilton.