Re: Acts 2:23

From: Joe Friberg (JoeFriberg@alumni.utexas.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 11:04:29 EDT

I would prefer Wallace's solution of exempting translation Gk from certain
interpretive/semantic rules: it appears by far to be the simplest
solution:

Pv 24.21 LXX (Rahlfs) reads:
FOBOU TON QEON, hUIE, KAI BASILEA
KAI MHQETERWi AUTOWN APEIQHSHiS

and MT reads:
YRF' 'ET-YHWH BNIY WFMELEK
`IM-$OWNIYM 'AL-TIT`FRFB

Note that the Gk follows the word order of the Hb. The LXX appears to be a
1-1 literal translation at this point. The details are copied, down to the
*lack of* a defn. art. w/ MELEK. This makes for poor translation theory,
but often an empahsis on literal, word-for-word translation sacrifices
accuracy of meaning for the sake of 1-1 formal correspondence, and this is
true of various parts of the LXX.

As to the question of Ignatius et al. quoting the LXX w/o emendation (I
could not verify this right now, but take your word for it), that should
not be surprising, even if the exact quotation went against the common
Semantic (Sharp's) rule. After all, the context is probably enough to
counteract the interpretation (God = king) that is predicted by Sharp's
rule. And I might even ask rhetorically (but gently), when was the last
time that you consciously modified an standard translation on-the-fly, w/o
consulting the original language first? I don't think such intentional
emendations would have been made lightly. (The real questions to ask arise
when there are variants between the LXX and quotations!)

On the other hand, though, I would not think it appropriate to put the
exemption for translation Gk into Sharp's (or any other Semantic or even
Syntactic) rule. Sharp's rule stands on its own, and we must simply invoke
the principle that sometimes translations are messy/imperfect, as in the
case of Pv 24.21 LXX! That is, the general principle that 'translations do
not always follow the grammar of the receptor language to convey the
correct meaning' comes into conflict with and overrides grammatical rules
in specific passages, as in the ex. above. This does not mean that *no*
translated passage will follow Sharp's rule, but that in some instance(s)
they *might* fail to *because* they are translation Gk!

Joe Friberg
Arlington, TX