Philippians 1:6

From: Joseph Brian Tucker (music@riverviewcog.org)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 15:36:27 EDT

PEPOIQWS AUTO TOUTO hOTI hO ENARYAMENOS EN hUIN ERGON AGAQON EPITELESEI
ARCI hHMERAS CRISTOU IHSOU

1. AGAQON does not have an article, Wallace refers to it as the fourth
attributive position, why?

2. EPITELESEI seems to be in apposition here, any thoughts? Trans. as
"(since I am confident) being convinced of this very thing, namely,
that....will perfect it until..."

3. EPITELESEI works as a simple predictive future here? Does it suggest a
progressive idea here? Isn't the normal way to express a continuous future
action with a future periphrastic participle?

4. PEPOIQWS is a casual adverbial participle "since I am confident..."

5. hOTI introduces a conjunctive clause that is substantival in apposition
to TOUTO?

6. Based on these questions, what would be a good translation of this
verse?

Thank You
Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI