Re: Concerning Genesis 1:16

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 10:48:26 EDT

<x-rich>At 10:09 AM -0400 8/23/99, Wrench wrote:

>Question from a 'wee little greeker'.

>In the Septuagint, I find the word "archas" at Genesis 1:16 in the
phrase

>"ton elasso eis archas tees nuktos". I have a couple of questions
regarding

>this.

>1. What word does "archas" derive from?

>2. Is it here a noun or a verb?

>Thanks

>Dan

(a) Dan, could you identify yourself a bit more substantially than as
"Dan" or as "Wrench"? The B-Greek protocol says, under the heading of
"Netiquette":

     "4. Signatures: It is a courtesy expected of B-Greek subscribers
that messages should indicate, at least in the "From" header, the
personal name as well as the e-address, or else should at least sign
their posts with personal names. Indications of the locality from which
they write would help personalize further for others the sender of a
message. Academic or institutional information may be appended also,
but there is no privilege associated with any academic or institutional
status so-indicated."

(b) ARCAS is acc. pl. of the noun ARCH (C = Chi), a word which may mean
"beginning," "origination," "first principle," or, as I think it must
mean here, "governance," "ruling authority." It's accusative with EIS,
EIS ARCAS evidently being used to translate into Greek the Hebrew
L'MeMSHeLeth,"for rule-of."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

</x-rich>