Re: Deut 32:8 LXX

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 00:12:16 EDT

>From: GregStffrd@aol.com
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Cc: b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu
>Subject: Re: Deut 32:8 LXX
>Date: Mon, Aug 23, 1999, 8:32 PM
>

> The Gottingen volume for Deuteronomy has hUIWN QEOU in Deut. 32:8.

Thanks Greg,

Do you happen to know what the manuscript evidence is for this reading?

*****off topic****

On the off topic theological issue which we cannot discuss here on
b-greek, the names of P. Sanders, F.M. Cross and M. Pope . . . all
represent the same school of thought (broadly speaking) being espoused
by Hershel Shanks. These folks are going to force all this data into
their historical model and make it fit one way or another. I could
without much difficulty add another dozen well known names to this list
since this school of thought is the dominate one in the secular academy.
A list of well know scholars does not settle anything really. Just shows
you how much "group think" there is in the academic world.

If one approaches the same data with a different theoretical model then
the arguments put forth by these major scholars do not hang together at
all. It is all a matter of presuppositions which is what Carl has been
telling us all along and it is what we don't argue about metaphysics on
b-greek.

Thanks again for your help on this. It is appreciated.

Clay