Re: Ephesians 1:13

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 23:55:06 EDT

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 06:25:40 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
> At 3:28 PM +1000 8/25/99, Richard A. Creighton wrote:
> >EN hW(i) KAI hUMEIS AKOUSANTES TON LOGON THS ALHQEIAS, TO
> EUAGGELION THS
> >SWTHRIAS hUMWN,
> >EN hW(i) KAI PISTEUSANTES ESFRAGISQHTE TW(i) PNEUMATI THS
> EPAGGELIAS TW(i)
> >hAGIW(i)
> >
> >I'm trying to work out how the two halves of this verse relate to
> each
> >other [ie "EN hW(i) ... hUMWN" and "EN hW(i) ... hAGIW(i)"]. Is
> Paul
> >describing the same thing from two different perspectives? Is he
> >describing two consecutive events? What are the options?
>
> Must it not pretty clearly be two consecutive events--or at any
> rate,
> phases in the process of reception of God's grace? Successful
> hearing of
> the gospel results in faith and reception of the seal of the
> promised Holy
> Spirit. I don't really see any other option.

Sorry for getting back late. Just flew to Iowa where I will be preaching
this weekend.

If hearing (AKOUEIN) in relation to faith in scripture denotes effectual
spiritual hearing, then taking AKOUSANTES in Eph 1:13 coincidentally
or simultaneously with believing makes good sense. Likewise,
it makes good sense to take believing and sealing as being simultaneous.

The question is, should we take hearing in this context as referring
to spiritual hearing or physical hearing?

hOS ECEI WTA AKOUEIN AKOUETW

Paul Dixon

.