Re: Source for the semantic range of ...

From: David McKay (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 05:12:08 EDT

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff><FONT size=2>
<DIV><BR>Hi all I am interested in a source for the semantic range of "misew"
#3404, that includes "love less". While I have a number of lexicons that give
this definition as well as "hate", none of them give a source. Thanks for any
help with this. <BR>in Christ -chris <BR><BR>G'day Chris.</DIV>
<DIV>This may be getting into hermeneutics too much, and may not be strictly
b-greek stuff. I hope it is acceptable, all the same though, O moderators,
because I think it is a very important topic, related to studying biblical
languages.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In BibleWorks, I got this from the Friberg lexicon:</DIV>
<DIV>1 hate, hostility of people for each other</DIV>
<DIV>2 requiring single-minded devotion, prefer less, love less</DIV>
<DIV>etc</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But, the word obviously means "hate" if you look up all the uses of the
word in the Septuagint and NT. But it is used by Jesus in a form of exaggeration
which he is fond of. I found Robert Stein's book "Interpreting Puzzling Texts in
the New Testament" very useful on this topic. It is published by Baker and
should be readily available.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This exaggeration is not being untruthful, but a colourful way of speaking.
It is clear Jesus is not literally telling us to hate, but is intending to show
the intensity of devotion required.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is a situation where the lexicon has its uses, but so does examining
the context.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>David McKay</DIV>
<DIV><A