Re: Question on NIV of 1 Tim. 6:12

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 10:09:00 EDT

At 9:43 AM -0400 9/1/99, Mike Sangrey wrote:
>cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu said:
>> The text: AGWNIZOU TON KALON AGWNA THS PISTEWS, EPILABOU THS AIWNIOU
>> ZWHS, EIS hHN EKLHQHS KAI hWMOLOGHSAS THN KALHN hOMOLOGIAN ENWPION
>> POLLWN MARTURWN.
>
>Wouldn't it be better to render this:
> "Fight the good fight of faith, seize the eternal life to which you've been
>called. Also, you confessed the good confession before many witnesses."
>
>In short, adjust the punctuation of the GNT.

Mike raises some other interesting questions about the section immediately
following upon this that I can't comment on at this time, but I think there
is a problem with this suggestion that we alter the punctuation so as to
make KAI hOWMOLOGHSAS THN KALHN hOMOLOGIAN ... a new sentence: it's just
simply too abrupt to begin a sentence or even a clause like that without a
connective word; I can readily conceive of something like KAI GAR
hWMOLOGHSAS KTL. here, which phrasing would be very common, but I really
think that an adverbial KAI introducing a new sentence/clause without any
connective would be strange here, and certainly the text of 1 Timothy is
not otherwise divergent from normal Greek epistolary conventions of style.
That's my opinion, at any rate.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu