Re: 2 Cor 6:10

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 15:29:29 EDT

>From: "Joe A. Friberg" <JoeFriberg@email.msn.com>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: 2 Cor 6:10
>Date: Thu, Sep 2, 1999, 12:15 PM
>

> KATA- generally has an intensifying effect.

Joe,

I wonder about this. I have read a number of KATAs both independent ones
and ones in compound verbs. I know that there are grammars which say
that " KATA- generally has an intensifying effect" but I remain
unconvinced of this by my observation of KATA in actual use. I suspect
that any statement about what KATA generally means will be generally
wrong. But you know I am a contrarian by nature, always attacking the
conventional wisdom on questions like "what does KATA mean?" I am not
sure that questions like "what does KATA mean?" are the sort of
questions that can be answered in any general way. To the b-greek
veterans this observation will draw a lot of yawns and perhaps a some
remark like "there he goes again."

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point