Re: b-greek digest: September 02, 1999

From: dixonps@juno.com
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 18:30:46 EDT

Jonathan:

Why, if one replies to all, are two copies automatically sent to the
list, unless one is manually deleted ahead of time?

I enjoyed the article in Christianity Today. Thanks. I thought Nida's
definition of dynamic equivalency was worth repeating. He says:

"A translation should be the closest natural equivalent of the message"
in the original language. He also said all translations are
interpretive.
True, though in varying degrees, I think he would say.

The goal of most pastor/teachers, I would assume, being one myself, is to

interpret scripture likewise, that is, finding the most natural
equivalent
of the message in the original language.

Putting the two together, one could say a good translation then will
almost teach itself. Preach? Hmm, depends on one's definition.

Paul Dixon

.