Re: 3 Questions on Phil 1:3-4

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 12:30:49 EDT

Joseph Brian Tucker wrote;

>EUCARISTW TWi QEWi MOU EPI PASHi THi MNEIAi hUMWN PANTOTE EN PASHi MOU
>hUPER PANTWN hUMWN, META CARAS THN DEHSIN POIOUMENOS,
>
>Three quick questions:
>
>1. What options are there for translating EPI PASHi THi MNEIAi hUMWN which
>is preferable? Why

We have had a recent thread on this question. Most favored "every time I
remember you" tho some favored "every time you remember me."

>2. How does PANTOTE function in this sentence? What does it modify?

Adverb modifying "making the petition." "Always making the petition with Joy."

>3. For hUPER PANTWN hUMWN can someone tell me what BDF, 231.1 says, I don't
>have access to it and I was told it was germane to this phrase. Is Paul's
>use of hUPER unusual here?

I do not have my BAGD at home (I should have two of them, but I gave the
older edition to a needy student) but the use of hUPER here is not unusual
in the NT. This use of the Genitive with hUPER is called by some a genitive
of advantage. It is one way of saying I am praying for you. See Eph.
6:18-19. You can do the same thing with PERI and the genitive, Eph. 6:18,
II Tim 1:3.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College