Re: erasmus and rev.

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@prodigy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 20:56:28 EDT

Jim and others:

I was always under the impression that Erasmus had in his work _Annotations
on the New Testament_ (Novum Testamentum Annotationes) confessed (forgive me
if my Latin is faulty):

...quanquam in calce hujus libri, nonulla verba reperi apud nostros, quae
aberant in Graecis exemplaribus, ea tamen ex latinis adjecimus."

and that Erasmus called the manuscript his "exemplar vetustissimum"

and that is the same manuscript that was rediscovered by Franz Delitzsch in
1861 at Mayhingen in Bavaria, Germany in the library of the Prince of
Oettingen-Wallerstein.

Kevin

At 05:58 PM 9/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Colleagues, and Jim West:
>
>Could Jim tell us what evidence he has that Erasmus himself said he had
>no copy of the Apocalypse when he was working on his first edition of
>the GNT (1516)?
>
>The complete original publications of Erasmus, including his first edition
>of the GNT, are no more than 150 feet from my private library study --
>I don't even have to walk up or down a flight of stairs -- and I have in
>the past read his own discussions of these matters, in his elegant Latin.
>I am quite certain that Carlton and Clay are correct, and so is Metzger--
>to wit, that Erasmus' copy of the Apocalypse lacked the final leaf, and
>that six verses (16-21) [only] were back-translated by him into Greek.
>
>But maybe that is a wrong recollection on my part, and Carlton's and Clay's
>and Metzger's. If you'll give us the reference in Erasmus, I'll check
>it out tomorrow. And if you're right, I'll personally call Bruce and ask
>him to credit you with the correction in his next printing.
>

>Edward Hobbs
>

>---------------Jim West wrote------------>>>>>>>>>>>
>
>Thanks for the clarifying notes regarding erasmus supposed possession of a
>greek edition of revelation.
>according to erasmus himself (and not metzger), he possessed no copy of
>revelation when he was working on his edition of the NT- the publisher was
>pressing him, so he made use of his vulgate and offered his own rendering.
>
>in following editions, perhaps, he acquired a greek text. but in the first
>edition, again according to his own testimony, he had to make use of the
>vulgate.
>
>best,
>
>jim

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.