Re: "Present-future" Tense (was "Ungrammatical ...")

From: Michael Haggett (michael@michaelhaggett.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 18:04:41 EDT

of the future originated in the same way as the S of the aorist,
particularly not as far back as proto-IE. But, while it seems to be true
that in any particular time one's thought patterns are determined by the
language one uses, it is equally true that in the long term (centuries, if
not less) language must tend to develop to accommodate the particular way of
thinking of the people who use it.

So for me it's not about origins but about the developed form. My point was
that the aorist and future in Koine Greek correlate to such a degree that
there is essentially no difference between them in the non-indicative
moods - to the extent that they, together, would have been regarded as "the
simple tense". As parallels to this the imperfect and present were together
regarded as "the continuous tense" and the pluperfect and perfect as "the
complete tense". The only difference in each pairing being that the former
was past-time in the indicative only. If we were to appreciate the
difference between our past-present-future way of thinking and the Greek
continuous-simple-complete way of thinking, it could only help our
understanding of the NT.

What I hoped to communicate was that this way of thinking could explain why
there was no need for something like a future perfect within the regular
form of the Greek verb (Al Kidd's original question). Carl Conrad had said
in his answer to Al that we can't really get inside the ancient Greek mind,
from my perspective of the developed form of the Greek verb I wanted to
disagree. This meant presenting a different logic, and I apologize for
being so lengthy.

michaelhaggett@altavista.net