Re: Phil 2:1 Question (revised subject-header)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 11:06:10 EDT

At 7:01 AM -0700 9/6/99, Steve Puluka wrote:
>>From: David A Bielby <dbielby@juno.com>
>
>>Paraklesis typically is translated as encouragement or comfort in Phi
>>2:1. I've been intrigued by AT Robertson's view that it should be
>>translated, ["ground of appeal to you in Christ." See 1Co 1:10; Eph
>>4:1]....from Word Pictures.
>>
>>I can see a clear contextual reason from the letter for this...people
>>facing persecution would be praying for deliverance, and would >probably
>>have testimonies of answered prayer in that vein..
>
>The word does indeed convey this notion of protection and deliverance in the
>face of persecution in the Christian East. In fact, we have a liturgical
>service by this name that appeals to Mary for her intercession and
>protection. The service is associated with the Feast of the Protection of
>the Mother of God (October 1). This Feast commemorates her saving of the
>City of Constantinople from Saracen invaders during the reign of Constantine
>VII (mid-900's I believe).
>
>The service cites the myriad times that God has rescued his people in the
>past and confidently asks for Mary's intercession with God for our situation
>today.

This is wonderful! It is so fundamental even to the classical Greek pattern
of prayer, the petitioner reminding the deity of past requests put by the
petitioner to the deity and the deity's gracious response on those past
occasions, this becoming the basis for the present new petition to the
deity, as in Iliad 1.35-42 (Chryses to Apollo):

        POLLA D' EPEIT' ANANEUQE KIWN HRAQ' hO GERAIOS
        APOLLWNI ANAKTI, TON HUKOMOS TEKE LHTW:
        "KLUQI MEU ARGUROTOX' hOS CRUSHN AMFIBEBHKAS
        . . .
        SMINQEU, EI POTE TOI CARIENT' EPI NHON EREYA,
        H EI DH POTE TOI KATA PIONA MHRI' EKHA
        TAURWN HD' AIGWN, TODE MOI KRHHNON EELDWR:
        TISEIAN DANAOI EMA DAKRUA SOISI BELESSIN.
        hWS EFAT' EUCOMENOS, TON D'EKLUE FOIBOS APOLLWN.

or Sappho's prayer to Aphrodite to assist her in love (#1LP.1-9):

        POIKOLOQRON' AQANAT' AFRODITA,
        . . .
        ALLA TUID' ELQ', AI POTA KA' (E)TERWTA
        TAS EMAS AUDAS AIOISA PHLOI