Philippians 1:9-11

From: Joseph Brian Tucker (music@riverviewcog.org)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 21:28:30 EDT

Greetings

I have placed the entire sentence in one post instead of breaking it up,
thanks for the suggestion. I hope it makes answering the questions easier.

(9)KAI TOUTO PROSEUCOMAI, hINA hH AGAPH hUMWN ETI MALLON KAI MALLON
PERISSEUHi EN EPIGNWSEI KAI PASHi AISQHSEI (10)EIS TO DOKIMAZEIN hUMAS TA
DIAFERONTA, hINA HTE EILIKRINEIS KAI APROSKOPOI EIS hHMERAN CRISTOU,
(11)PEPLHRWMENOI KARPON DIKAIOSUNHS TON DIA IHSOU CRISTOU EIS DOXAN KAI
EPAINON QEOU.

Verse 9

1. Concerning the first KAI, what is the specific connection? Since
parataxis are rare in Paul, it would seem a reason could be supplied. Maybe
the connection is with the prayer from verse 8 and the fact of him praying
in verse 4. Silva sees it as resumptive of verse 4, O'Brien verse 8. What
do you think?

2. What is the function of TOUTO in the sentence?

3. It seems that there are two possibilities for the use of the tense of
PROSEUCOMAI, which is best and how would you translate it?

4. What is the force of EN EPIGNWSEI KAI PASHi AISQHSEI?

Verse 10

1. EIS + The articular infinitive TO DOKIMAZEIN, what are the
classification possibilities for the infinitive?

2. How does hUMAS function?

3. How would you classify the use of the participle TA DIAFERONTA and its
function in this sentence?

4. What are EILIKRINEIS KAI APROSKOPOI and what is their function?

5. Should hHMERAN be translated definite even though it is anarthrous?

Verse 11

1. What type of participle is PEPLHRWMENOI - I know it is a perfect passive
ptc. that modifies "that you might be"? Are there any sub-categories for
understanding this participle?

2. How is KARPON functioning and how does DIKAIOSUNHS relate to KARPON?

3. What does the article TON DIA IHSOU CRISTOU do to the prepositional
phrase? There seems to be two options...

Thanks

Brian Tucker
music@riverviewcog.org
Riverview, Michigan