Re: Prautaes

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 19:37:36 EDT

<x-flowed>Here's an excerpt from Vine's Expository Dictionary --- which of course is
also a Logos book <g>
[ forgive the failure to adopt the B-GREEK transcription -- this is how it
cut and pasted ]

1. PRAUTEÖS, or PRAOTES, an earlier form, (prau>th", (4240)) denotes
meekness. In its use in Scripture, in which it has a fuller, deeper
significance than in nonöscriptural Greek writings, it consists not in a
personâs ăoutward behaviour only; nor yet in his relations to his
fellowömen; as little in his mere natural disposition. Rather it is an
inwrought grace of the soul; and the exercises of it are first and chiefly
towards God. It is that temper of spirit in which we accept His dealings
with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting; it is
closely linked with the word tapeinophrosune” [humility], and follows
directly upon it, Eph. 4:2; Col. 3:12; cp. the adjectives in the Sept. of
Zeph. 3:12, ămeek and lowly;ä · it is only the humble heart which is also
the meek, and which, as such, does not fight against God and more or less
struggle and contend with Him. This meekness, however, being first of all a
meekness before God, is also such in the face of men, even of evil men, out
of a sense that these, with the insults and injuries which they may
inflict, are permitted and employed by Him for the chastening and purifying
of His electä (Trench, Syn. € xlii). In Gal. 5:23 it is associated with
enkrateia, selföcontrol.
The meaning of prauÂte”s ăis not readily expressed in English, for the
terms meekness, mildness, commonly used, suggest weakness and pusillanimity
to a greater or less extent, whereas prauÂte”s does nothing of the kind.
Nevertheless, it is difficult to find a rendering less open to objection
than Îmeekness;â Îgentlenessâ has been suggested, but as prauÂte”s
describes a condition of mind and heart, and as Îgentlenessâ is appropriate
rather to actions, this word is no better than that used in both English
Versions. It must be clearly understood, therefore, that the meekness
manifested by the Lord and commended to the believer is the fruit of power.
The common assumption is that when a man is meek it is because he cannot
help himself; but the Lord was Îmeekâ because he had the infinite resources
of God at His command. Described negatively, meekness is the opposite to
selföassertiveness and selföinterest; it is equanimity of spirit that is
neither elated nor cast down, simply because it is not occupied with self
at all.!
Vine, W. E., Vineâs Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words,
(Grand Rapids, MI: Fleming H. Revell) 1981.

.............and much more !
Maurice

At 14:29 16/09/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Question on the word prautaes
>used in these verses 1 Co. 4:21 2 Co. 10:1 Gal. 5:23 Gal. 6:1
>Eph. 4:2 Col. 3:12
>2 Tim. 2:25 Tit. 3:2 Jas. 1:21 Jas. 3:13 1 Pet. 3:16
>
>In her devotions, my wife ran across an article on meekness which claims
>that this word comes from the description of a powerful stallion
>responding to the gentle signals of his master. I can't find any support
>for this claim. Is anyone familiar with they etymology of this word? Can
>you help me here? Even better, can you turn me on to some sources which
>would give me a deeper insight into words like this than I'm able to
>acquire through my existing sources (Bible Works/Logos)?
>
>Thank you so much!
>

>David Bielby
>dbielby@juno.com
>
>---