Re: Baker withdraws Comfort book

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 21:57:11 EDT

At 09:36 PM 9/20/99 +0000, you wrote:

>Dear Book Review Editor:
>
>Our recently published volume THE COMPLETE TEXT OF THE EARLIEST NEW
>TESTAMENT MANUSCRIPTS [in italics in original letter], by Philip W.
>Comfort and David P. Barrett, has been permanently withdrawn from
>publication due to serious content flaws. In light of this, we ask that
>all reviews of this book be halted.
>
>We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for your
>cooperation.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Jim Kinney

One of the saddest facts of modern academic life is that the grumbling and
carping of a few can see to it that a text of worth and extraordinary
significance is discontinued. It is shameful that Baker pulled this book.
And it is shameful, purely shameful, that instead of correcting the minor
errors that do exist in the book, the editors there have decided to bow to
the pressure of some folk who simply dislike the author and have done their
best to discredit him and his work. Finally, those who are gleeful about
this disgraceful action should be ashamed of themselves, really and