Sallust & Paul

From: John Barach (jbarach@telusplanet.net)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 19:52:00 EDT

I'm not sure if this question is entirely within the B-Greek sphere, but
I'll ask anyway. (You can respond off-list, if you like.)

I was looking at my Penguin translation of Sallust's _Jugurthine War_
and discovered this line at the end of the first paragraph: "If men
pursued good things with the same ardour with which they seek what is
unedifying and unprofitable ... they would control events instead of
being controlled by them, and would rise to such heights of greatness
and glory that their mortality would put on immortality."

Of course, I was struck by the similarity in wording between the last
few words and Paul's words in 1 Cor. 15:53-54. It may be that the
similarity is due to the translator, but I was curious. Could Paul be
alluding to (or borrowing wording from) Sallust, as he does elsewhere
from Greek poets? Or was this imagery common at that time?

Any comments?

Regards,

John

John Barach (403) 317-1950