Re: Is TEMPUS A Part of Greek Grammar?

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 17:29:42 EDT

Since I brought up the question, I would like to tell
you the reason why I think aspect and aktionsart at
least deserve SOME attention.

Recently while reading Rev. 5:10, I came across the
term BASILEUSOUSIN, which is supposed to be future
"tense." Or is it? While certain grammarians insist
that the future tense is the only tense
grammaticalized in Greek, others have suggested that
the future tense is in reality--future aspect. If this
claim is true, how does this impact the exegesis of
Rev. 5:10c? On the other end of the spectrum, how does
aspect morphology impact our understanding of verses
like John 3:16, which says that the Father so "loved"
(aorist indicative active) the world that he gave His
only-begotten Son? Can we determine the setting of
God's love delineated in this verse from the "form"
alone, or from other lexical indicators? I don't know,
it is a project that will probably take me years to
figure out. :-)

=====
Edgar Foster
Classics Major