Re: Re: Is TEMPUS A Part of Greek Grammar?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 20:02:44 EDT

At 12:02 AM +0200 9/26/99, 4freiheit665@gmx.de wrote:
>Say, Carl, where do I find the choral ode by Aristophanes that you refer
>to?

The passage I had in mind was in the Frogs, somewhere in the Agon between
Aeschylus and Euripides, a section somewhere between lines 1300 and 1400;
it wasn't exactly as I was describing it since I was really trying to bait
Jim West a bit here (he demanded a sense of humor if anyone was going to
reply to him). What this passage has is a parody that Aeschylus offers of a
Euripidean chorus where the chorus is modulating a single syllable in a way
that supposedly mimics the sound of a spider spinning a web. Euripides
thinks that's a cute thing to do, while Aeschylus thinks it's a silly thing
to do.

Sorry if you were hoping for something more appealing.

Regards, c

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu