Philippians 1:12-14

From: Joseph Brian Tucker (music@riverviewcog.org)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 15:26:44 EDT

Carl and Others

Thanks for the help so far, if I write a commentary on Philippians, Carl
you would have to receive a significant contribution from my war-chest of
money. And (parataxis) I don't quite think I'm ready yet, I still have
trouble understanding modifiers. Your point concerning the labels placed on
Greek words was well taken, realize, in the future, as I ask that question,
it's for personal clarification and not to force the writer into an
artificial label. My questions revolve around Philippians because that is
my current area of interest. I finished Galatians and am working through
Philippians, very slowly, but very cogently thanks to you and others…

GINWSKEIN DE hUMAS BOULOMAI, ADELFOI, hOTI TA KAT EME MALLON EIS PROKOPHN
TOU EUANGGELIOU ELHLUQEN, hWSTE TOUS DESMOUS MOU FANEROUS EN CRISTWi
GENESQAI EN hOLWi Twi PRAITWRIWi KAI TOIS LOIPOIS PASIN, KAI TOUS PLEIONAS
TWN ADELFWN EN KURIWi PEPOIQOTAS TOIS DESMOIS MOU PERISSOTERWS TOLMAN
AFOBWS TON LOGON LALEIN.

1. GINWSKEIN seems to be a complementary infinitive because of the presence
of BOULOMAI and completes the thought? Is this correct?

2. The neuter plural article TA substantized the KAT EME, thus creating an
idiom: "the thing concerning me" or, better, "my circumstances." There
seems to be a verb necessary after this phrase, what could it be?

3. What is the force of the perfect ELHLUQEN? I am not going to ask about
the classification, lest I incur the wrath of …just kidding.

4. GENESQAI - aor. mid. Dep. Inf. Questions are:

4.a. What should be understood as the masculine accusative plural subject
of GENESQAI? TOUS DESMOUS?

4.b. Which word functions as a predicate adjective following GENESQAI?

5. It seems to me that EN CRISTWi is the main point of this clause, to
bring out the force would, "with the natural result that my bonds have
become manifest as being in Christ" acceptable or preferable?

6. How should one classify PASIN? (Oops, there I go again)

7. Is the function of the KAI at the beginning of verse 14 a simple joining
with verse 13 and thus concluding the sentence that began in verse 12?

8. What is the function of PLEIONAS? A simple comparative adjective with
the comparison implicit? (with the result that) most…

9. Wallace points out that ADELFWN should be seen as a partitive gen. not a
genitive of comparison? Do you agree? (Am I doing it again?)

10. Does the nuance of the perfect in PEPOIQOTAS indicate: "being convinced
or confident"? I really would like a classification of this participle -
even though Paul did not have it in mind when he wrote.

11. 3 modifying questions: I always have problems with these:

11.a What does DESMOIS modify? Is it PEPOIQOTAS?

11.b What is the comparative adverb PERISSOTERWS modifying?

11.c What does the adverb AFOBWS modify?

12. What type of verb does an infinitive usually complete? Does LALEIN
conform to that here? What does it seems to complete?

Well, that's all I have. Please be patient with me as I learn the correct
questions to ask. I had a professor tell me that with a B.A. you can
listen..With an M.A. you can ask the questions..with a Ph.D you may then
answer the questions. Well, I'm stuck at the M.A. still learning to ask the
questions. Thanks for the help in understanding the correct syntactic and
semantic issues relating to Greek.

Brian Tucker
Music@riverviewcog.org
Riverview, MI