Brenton's LXX

From: J.K. Aitken (jka12@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 13:45:33 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

        May I ask a question regarding LCL Brenton's translation of the
LXX into english (1851, I think?)?
        Does anyone out there know of any discussion or articles that
explain how it cam to be translated? I am particularly interested if it
is known what tools he used, such as lexica and commentaries. One can work
out from the date what lexica he could have had access to (e.g. Passow and
the 1st edn of LS[J]), but do we have any definite information?

        Thanks,

        Jim Aitken
        Cambridge, UK